Bouldering at Fontainebleau
A bouldering paradise
The Fontainebleau forest is known worldwide for its sandstone rock formations which attracts climbers, hikers, and walkers into its unique scenery. The forest offers a wide range of activities:
- Bouldering: it is possible to hire a professional to accompany you
- Backpacking: 300 km of marked hiking trails and 1,600 km of forest trails
- Horse-riding tours and horse-riding beginner courses
- Dog sledding and bicycle tours
- Relaxation and family picnics
The diversity of climbing routes of Fontainebleau provides problems and routes ideal for beginners as well as plenty of challenges for experienced and professional climbers. Here are some of the many highly recommended spots near our campsites:
- Bouldering in Buthiers: 11 routes, from white (easy) to black (difficult), on two rock formations: The “massif de l’I” and “massif Canard”.
- Larchant and the forest of la Commanderie: The Dame Jouanne bouldering rock is, at 15 meters, the highest monolith of Fontainebleau and the Maunoury, Baleine and Éléphant bouldering areas.
- Noisy-sur-Ecole: The very attractive Massif des Trois Pignons with its “sandy beach” Sables du Cul du Chien, and the circular footpath “Circuit des 25 bosses”.
Practice climbing all year round
The weather does not always permit climbing outdoors. Nevertheless, you can enjoy the pleasure of indoor climbing with the supported from a professional and experienced team. There are two indoor climbing gyms near the campground where you can practice indoor climbing all year round:
The climbing gym of “île de Loisirs” in Buthiers
- 1,200 m² climbing space (routes and boulder problems)
- One of the tallest climbing halls in Europe with an adjustable roof up to 20 meters high.
- A 12-meter-high climbing wall of medium difficulty and more than 80 routes
- World-class bouldering area with 430 m² of bouldering space and more than 100 bouldering problems from 3.5 to 4.5 meters high with all difficulty levels, including a special climbing area for children
- Rope climbing walls