Discover our cultural heritage
Our villages are worth discovering!
There are many enchanting villages in the department of Seine-et-Marne. At the heart of the Fontainebleau forest, on the bank of the river Seine or Loing, you will find the 26 designated « Villages de caractère » (26 “villages with character”). Plan a walk on the beautiful, cobbled streets of these villages, which are either surrounded by old city walls, or by nature. Both the architecture of these villages and their well-preserved and rural environment make them remarkable while the locals are welcoming and inviting.
These villages are not only known for their beauty, but also for the various events that they host throughout the year. Quench your thirst for history, entertain yourself by discovering the local monuments, churches, museums, and galleries as well as all the cute shops and restaurants awaiting you.
Villages of note include:
- Barbizon: Picturesque and romantic village that is considered as the cradle of pictorial pre-impressionism: Millet, Corot, Rousseau, Monet, and Renoir created masterpieces there.
- Bourron-Marlotte: Village with an authentic character where you can learn more about Sisley, Renoir, Monet, Cézanne, Pissarro, Théophile Gauthier, or Musset.
- Samois-sur-Seine and its magnificent, old mansions: The home village of Django Reinhardt, and is particularly well known for its jazz festival.
- Boissy-aux-Cailles: A true oasis nestled in nature.
- Noisy-sur-Ecole: A village full of history located in a magnificent setting.
Those who are particularly motivated can follow the several steps of the Route touristique des villages de caractère de Seine-et-Marne (touristic route of villages of note in Seine-et-Marne), which will guide you through many of the 26 locations mentioned above.